Congratulations Coach Torres!
Good coaches help athletes cross finish lines. Inspiring Coaches dare them to run beyond athletic ambitions to even greater accomplishments off the track. Brooks Running Company names Justin Torres, head cross-country and track coach from Bishop Mora Salesian High School, its 2013 Inspiring Coach of the Year for his ability to ignite athletic and academic fire in his athletes.
In his four years at Bishop Mora Salesian High School, Coach Torres has led the Mustangs to their first section championship in 32 years and multiple appearances at the state meet. He has also motivated handfuls of young athletes to attend college, five of whom earned athletic scholarship and many more were the first in their families to strive for four-year degrees.
Torres is the third winner of this annual award, which goes to a high school running coach who hits the track and trails every day to make a lifelong impact in the lives of young runners. For his award, Torres will receive $10,000 in Brooks performance running gear and $2,500 in cash to help fund team expenses. He will also receive a trip for two to the 2014 Brooks PR Invitational. Torres was chosen from a group of 26 finalists (read about them here) after athletes, former athletes, parents, fellow coaches, faculty and community members cast more than 17,000 votes via social media for who they thought she be the Inspiring Coach of the Year. Each finalist will receive $5,000 in Brooks performance running gear and $500 cash, as well as membership in Brooks’ Inspire Daily (I.D.) program.
Congratulations to Coach Torres! Be sure to read about our 2013 Inspiring Coaches Finalists here.
Get Ready, Get Set...
Nominations open in February, 2014. Here's what you can start collecting now to get ready:
- Your name, address, phone number and email address
- Your coach’s name, what they coach, how long they’ve coached and how many athletes are on their team(s)
- Your school’s name, address and phone number
- A brief answer to the big question: Why do you think this coach is inspiring?
- A description of a specific moment this coach inspired you or someone you know
- A video of your coach doing their thing (optional)
- A photo of your coach in action—or just cheesing for the camera (optional)
Thanks for your interest in the Inspiring Coaches program!
We will email you once nominations begin.