Properly caring for your Run Bras is the best way to ensure they last their expected lifespan and offer consistent performance on all your runs. Not sure what to watch out for? Or do you want to know how to wash your running bra? Never fear! We’re here to help.
How often should I wash my running bra?
How to wash your running bra?
You don’t need to worry about handwashing your bras, as all Brooks running bras are machine washable. But there are a few steps you should take to make sure your bras are protected in the wash and have a long life.
- Remove the removable pads if the bra has them
- Fasten the clasps on your bra
- Place your bra inside a lingerie bag
- Follow the care instructions on the tag, and wash your bras at the right temperature
- If there’s no tag, err on the side of caution and put it on a delicate wash
- Use your normal detergent, but don’t use any fabric softener which can prevent your sweat-wicking fabrics from working
- Lie your bra flat to dry, or hang it on a drying rack
Avoid using a tumble dryer for your running bras. They might be convenient, but they can wear down the fabric and damage the moisture management properties of performance run bras and other performance running clothing. If you do happen to use a tumble dryer, just make sure not to use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
How to wash a running bra by hand?
All our run bras can be popped in the washing machine, but if you do want to wash it by hand, it may help to preserve its supportive qualities for even longer. Here’s how to do it:
- Use a special hand wash rather than regular laundry detergent, which can damage the delicate fibres of your bra and retain odours rather than remove them
- Soak your bra in soapy water for 20-30 minutes
- While it’s soaking, scrub the fabric with your hands – making sure that you don’t scrub too hard
- After 20-30 minutes, drain the sink and refill it with cold water
- Leave your bra in the sink until all the detergent has soaked out
- Hang up or lay flat to dry
How long should my Run Bra last?
Great question! This can vary from person to person and depends largely on use. In general, though, we expect our Run Bras to last between 6-12 months. Continued use beyond the expected lifespan of our Run Bras will likely result in lowered performance and support over time.
More questions about the fitting of a Run Bra? Check our Run Bra fit tips! Not sure what bra is right for you? Try our Bra Finder or try a running store to try on a Brooks Run Bra in person.