Last Updated: 27 October 2014
We respect your right to privacy and will only process personal data (including any sensitive personal data) you provide us in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998 ("the Act") and any other applicable privacy laws. For the purposes of the Act, the data controller is Brooks Sports B.V., whose registered office is at Prins Bernhardplein 200, 1097JB Amsterdam.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information (which may include personal data and/or sensitive personal data) when you: access or use the Services; purchase our products; participate in a survey, contest, promotion, activity or event; subscribe to our newsletter; communicate with us via third-party social media sites; request customer support; or communicate otherwise with us. The types of information we may collect directly from you include your name, email address, postal address, phone number, birth date, photographs, demographic information, payment method information, transaction history and any other information you choose to provide. Also, solely to advise you on product selection, we ask for your gender, foot width, weight, type of exercise activity undertaken and pronation. This information is not stored and is discarded as soon as we have advised you on a product selection.
Information We Collect Automatically When You Use Our Services
When you access or use the Services, Brooks may also automatically collect information about you, such as:
- Log information. We log information about you when you visit and use the Services, including your Internet Protocol ("IP") address, access times, operating system, browser type and language, Internet Service Provider ("ISP") and the web pages that you visit.
- Transaction information. When you purchase a product, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details and the date and location of the purchase.
- Information collected by cookies and other tracking technologies. We may automatically collect information about you using cookies, web beacons and other tracking technologies. Among other things, cookies help us to improve the Services and your experience, understand which areas and features of the Services are popular and count visits. For more detailed information on cookies and the other online tracking tools we use and the purposes for which we use them, please see our section on "Cookies" below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
Brooks may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect about you. For example, we collect information from consumer insight sources (such as information about your inferred interests) to help us better understand your interests.
Use of Information
We may use the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Provide and deliver products and services, process and complete transactions, and send you related information, including purchase confirmations and invoices;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, contests, sweepstakes, rewards, and events and provide other news and information about Brooks and our select partners. We will only contact you about goods or services which are not similar to your previous orders or permit select partners to contact you if you have consented to receive such communications. If you do not want us to receive such communications, please tick the relevant box on the form on which we collect your data. For more information about how to change your preferences and to unsubscribe from promotional materials, please see "My Privacy Choices" below;
- Process and deliver contest or sweepstakes entries and prizes;
- Monitor and analyse trends, usage and activities in connection with the Services;
- Investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities;
- Personalise and improve the Services and provide content, features and/or advertisements that match your interests and preferences or otherwise customise your experience on the Services; and
- Link or combine with other information we receive from third parties to help understand your needs and provide you with better service.
If we transfer your personal data to countries other than the US outside the EEA, we will ensure an adequate level of protection for your rights and freedoms in relation to the processing of your personal data.
Sharing of Information
We will not disclose, sell or rent your personal data to any third party unless you have consented to this. If you do consent but later change your mind, you may contact us and we will cease any such activity.
We may share personal data about you as follows:
- With third-party vendors, consultants and other service providers who are working on our behalf and who require access to your information to carry out their work;
- With advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others.
- When you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services, certain information about you may be displayed publicly, such as your name, photos and any other information you choose to provide;
- With other selected companies, for purposes of sending their own direct mail and helping them to understand your interests, where you have consented to this type of sharing. If you do not want us to use your data in this way or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box on the form on which we collect your data. For more information about how to change your preferences and to unsubscribe from promotional materials, please see "My Privacy Choices" below;
- With other companies that use information about you to help us and other companies prevent fraudulent transactions;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights and property of Brooks or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business; and
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information about you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features or other integrated tools, which let you share actions you take on the Services with other media and vice versa. The use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these features.
Whilst we take all reasonable measures, including administrative, technical and physical safeguards, to help protect personal data from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction, no transmission over the internet can ever be guaranteed secure. Consequently, we cannot guarantee the security of any personal information that you transfer over the Internet to us.
What cookies do we use?
Below we have provided a list of the categories of cookies found on our Services and a description of what those cookies do. Please check back here periodically as we may update this information from time to time:
Functional Cookies: Functional cookies are ones that we set to help the Services work the way you expect them to. Some cookies are necessary to enable you to move around our site, online store and to use the Services. Without these cookies, we can't provide the Services you have asked for, like processing orders made via our online store.
We use other cookies to help recognise and remember you when you are logged into our Services so we can remember your settings and preferences, such as your language and region or logged in state. These cookies also may help us provide services you have asked for.
As described below, you may disable any of these functional cookies; but if you do so, then various functions of the Services may be unavailable to you or may not work the way you want them to.
Performance Cookies: We use a web analytics tool from Google, Inc. ("Google") called Google Analytics that uses "cookies" to help us understand how you use the Services. The information generated by the cookies will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google Analytics do not provide us with any personally identifiable information. They tell us things like how you arrived at our site, if you have visited before, how long you stay on the site and which pages on the site you have visited. They can also provide us with general information about where in the world you may be located. This information helps us understand how people use our Services. It also gives us information about the kind of experience people have in on our site and through our Services, all of which helps us to make your experience of our Services even better.
To learn more about Google Analytics and your privacy, visit www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics when using our web-based products, visit tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Third-Party Advertising and Analytics
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Your Privacy Choices
Online Account Information
You may access, update and correct your online account information and account preferences at any time by logging into your online account and updating your information and preferences. If you wish to delete your online account, please email us at email@example.com, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes. We may also retain cached or archived copies of your information for a certain period of time.
Your Privacy Rights
You have the right to access information held about you. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. You also have the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing or promotional purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You may also opt out of receiving promotional emails or text messages from Brooks by following the instructions in those communications or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your account or our ongoing relations.