Brooks® Sports Leads Pack with Running Retail Momentum
Performance Running Company Gains Share, Receives Highest Dealer Confidence in Independent Industry Survey
Bothell, Wash. - Nov. 23, 2005
Brooks Sports, Inc., a leading running company headquartered in Bothell, Wash., was recently applauded by specialty running retailers nationwide in an independent survey measuring brand strength, sales momentum, potential growth, service and more. Sports Marketing Surveys (SMS), in its Running Specialty Store Sales Survey for Fall 2005, revealed that Brooks continues to increase retail confidence in its brand and again gained market share for the fall 2005 season.
The survey included in-depth phone interviews with 75 specialty running retail store dealers across the U.S. and serves as a reputable proxy for the $393 million specialty running market. The latest SMS report, released last week, concluded the following key perceptions about Brooks in the specialty running retail channel:
- For the second season in a row, Brooks ranks No. 1 in the survey’s Dealer Confidence Index, emerging with its highest index ever. The Dealer Confidence Index formulates retailers’ overall impressions of each brand.
- Brooks once again increased market share as estimated by dealers, gaining 1.1 percent and further solidifying its second place ranking, now at 18.2 percent.
- For the sixth consecutive season, Brooks leads the pack with No. 1 ratings for in-house customer service, product delivery and sales rep support.
- Significant for its size relative to other footwear brands, Brooks again takes a commanding second place in the survey’s respected Market Strength Index (MSI), which formulates each brand’s predicted strength as reported by all running specialty store dealers who participate in the panel.
- Of all stores surveyed, 97 percent carry Brooks products – a level of brand presence unsurpassed by all other brands in this respected channel.
“With a focus on performance product, first-class service, and a spirit that stays true to the run, we work hard at building the share that our specialty running retail partners give us,” said Rick Wilhelm, vice president of Specialty Retail Sales at Brooks Sports, Inc. “We choose to align our brand with these top-notch retailers, who are the real reason we rank No. 2 today.”
Brooks sells roughly 80 percent of its gear in the specialty running retail environment – a strategic focus that continues to bode well for the brand. Brooks’ sales figures for the first three quarters of 2005 support the brand momentum reported in this survey, and bookings for spring 2006 are currently up more than 30 percent.
Brooks Sports, Inc. is a leading running company that designs and markets a line of performance footwear, apparel and accessories in more than 80 countries worldwide. Part of the Russell Corporation (NYSE: RML), Brooks was founded in 1914 and is headquartered in Bothell, Wash., near Seattle. The company’s mission is to inspire people to run and be active by creating innovative gear that keeps them running longer, farther and faster. Visit www.brooksrunning.com for more information.