Brooks® Forges Ahead in the Specialty Running Market
Running Company Tops Survey with Best Overall Brand Rating and More
Bothell, Wash. – May 22, 2008 – According to Sports Marketing Surveys’ Spring 2008 Running Specialty Store Sales Survey, performance running company Brooks Sports, Inc. took home four gold-medal standings in the report’s top rankings: Brand Strength Forecast, Market Strength Forecast, Dealer Confidence Index, and overall Brand Ratings. Released late last week, the biannual, independent survey serves as a reputable proxy for brand momentum in the
To determine these rankings, Sports Marketing Surveys conducted in-depth phone interviews with 75 specialty running store owners and managers nationwide. Panelists rated a variety of brands relative to quantitative sales data and diverse qualitative attributes.
The Spring 2008 survey reveals the following about Brooks:
- Brooks’ unweighted footwear market share increased 1.2 percent since fall 2007, a gain far exceeding those of all other brands represented in the survey. The unweighted share is based on dealer estimates of dollar sales for each brand.
- Brooks ranks No. 1 in the survey’s Brand Strength Forecast, which formulates each brand’s strength as reported by all running specialty stores that carry that brand.
- Brooks also ranks No. 1 in the survey’s respected Market Strength Forecast, which formulates each brand’s predicted strength as reported by all running specialty stores that participate in the panel, regardless of whether they carry the brand in question.
- For the second season in a row, Brooks takes top billing in Dealer Confidence Index, which measures retailers’ overall impressions of each brand and the company it represents.
- For the 11th consecutive season, Brooks leads the pack with No. 1 Brand Ratings for in-house customer service and product delivery. Brooks ranks No. 1 in four additional Brand Rating categories, including new line vs. current line, profit to dealer, sales rep support, and line segmentation.
- Of all stores surveyed, 99 percent carry Brooks products—a presence level unsurpassed by all other brands.
“From performance product to marketing firepower to customer service, Brooks works relentlessly to provide top-notch support to our specialty running retail partners,” said Brooks Vice President of Sales Rick Wilhelm. “We are delighted these retailers recognize and value our efforts, and we look forward to building upon that energy for seasons to come.”
Supporting the momentum reported in this survey, world-renowned running resource Runner’s World honored Brooks’ footwear during its seasonal shoe reviews four times in the past nine months. The Trance™ 7, Cascadia 3, and Defyance all earned the magazine’s coveted “Editor’s Choice” award, while the popular Adrenaline™ GTS 8 received “Best Buy.”
With industry accolades fueling the fire, Brooks is moving full steam ahead with performance product, leading customer service, and a brand spirit that stays true to the run. In fall 2008, Brooks will launch the Ghost, a high-end responsive neutral shoe; the Trance™ 8 with BioMoGo, the first-ever biodegradable running shoe midsole; and two new styles for young feet—the Kids’ Adrenaline™ GTS and Kids’ Defyance.
Brooks Sports, Inc. is a leading running company that designs and markets a line of performance footwear, apparel and accessories in more than 40 countries worldwide. A subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., Brooks was founded in 1914 and is headquartered in