Green Power Pre-Workout Drink
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh mango or pineapple chuncks
- 4 cups water
- 2 tsp spirulina powder
- 1 tsp miso
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 to 2 minutes, until the mixture is completely smooth. Drink 20 to 30 ounces (2 1⁄2 to 3 3⁄4 cups) 15 to 45 minutes before a run.
Lentil Mushroom Burger
- 1 cup dried green lentils (2¼ cups cooked)
- 2¼ cups water
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ cups finely chopped onion
- ¾ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- ½ cup ground flax seed (flax seed meal)
- 3 cups finely chopped mushrooms
- 1½ cups de-stemmed, finely chopped kale, spinach, or winter greens
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
In a small pot, bring the lentils, water, parsley, 1 garlic clove, and 1⁄4 cup of the onion to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 35 to 40 minutes until the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft.
While the lentils are cooking, combine the walnuts, breadcrumbs, and flax seed in a bowl. Mix in the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and paprika.
Sauté the remaining onion, remaining garlic, mushrooms, and greens in the oil for 8 to 10 minutes, then set aside. Remove the lentils from the heat, add the vinegar and mustard, and mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon to a thick paste.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the lentils, sautéed veggies, and breadcrumb mixtures, and mix well. Cool in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes or more.
Using your hands, form burger patties to your desired size and place on waxed paper. Lightly fry in a seasoned skillet, broil, or grill until lightly browned and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes on each side.
Sweet Potatoes & Garlicky Greens
- 4 sweet potatoes, sliced in wedges
- 1 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- Garlicky Greens:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and minced (optional)
- 1 bunch of kale, collards, or chard, deveined and coarsely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt or tamari
Sweet Potatoes: Preheat oven to 375° F. Toss potatoes with oil and seasonings. Arrange on a preseasoned baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are cooked through and lightly browned.
Garlicky Greens: Preheat skillet and olive oil. Sauté garlic and pepper for 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens and salt. Sauté for 5 to 8 minutes. Makes 4 servings
- ½ medium-sized onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-10oz packages tempeh, diced into ⅛-inch cubes
- 4 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 12 whole grain or corn tortillas any combination tomatoes, avocados, romain lettuce, cilantro, bell peppers, and jalapeños for garnishes
Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño in olive oil until soft. Add diced tempeh and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Add seasoning, salt, and water. Cook the mixture 10 to 25 minutes, until enough liquid evaporates that you’re left with a thickened sauce. Add cilantro and stir.
Heat tortillas over a griddle or wrapped in foil in the oven. Fill each tortilla with 2 or 3 tbsp of tempeh mixture and your choice of garnishes. Makes 4 to 6 servings.